Sunday 26 August 2007

Bartering in the Shop

I have many tales I could relate from the Knitwise shop. I am asked many unusual questions and have many strange requests. I don't usually make these public (unless you include occassionally moaning to ds and dh). However, I had a quiet day on Saturday (after a pretty busy week). At 3.15pm I was thinking of calling it a day, particularly since I was still feeling miserable with my cold. As is always the case when I consider sneaking off early a customer came in. She looked at the discounted eyelash yarn in the basket near the door and said to me she'd be back in 10 minutes. As promised she came back but her greeting to me as she walked in the door was 'Can you do this for £1.00 a ball?' I politely told her I had already discounted the yarn and was not able to offer any further reduction. At this point she emptied her purse on the table and offered me £3.05 for 3 balls which I politely declined. She was planning to make a scarf and I told her two balls of that particular yarn would be plenty for a scarf. I was starting to weaken as she started counting her coppers. It was at this point that she asked me if I accepted postage stamps. My Yorkshire heart hardened again and she left the shop with two balls paid for in full (in hard currency).

3 comments:

Everything Stops for Tea said...

Hi!! Just found your blog! I've been in knitwise a few times and I'm looking forward to going to the knitflicks event!!! I'm going to add you to my favourites list!

Mary said...

Hi
I too have bought wool from you. Will be back to visit before Christmas

Angie said...

Nice to hear from you. Hope to see you both soon