Monday 13 August 2007

12428

I had every intention, when I posted last Sunday, to keep this blog more up to date, and here I am early hours of Monday morning just getting round to posting (over a week later). I've no real excuse except my life is not very exciting, and I always seem to be busy. I've finished just one project this week- the Peapod Jacket from the Peapod Set from Knitting Daily. This is for the mum-to-be at my local SnB. It's a lovely little jacket and I'm very pleased with the results. I'll post a picture later this week.
My ds came home this week - Wednesday evening and went back to London this evening. I miss him very much as I'm sure all of us do when our children leave home. It's only been a couple of months now since he originally left home - I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually. The saying goodbye is very difficult even though I know it's best for him that he's out there experiencing everything himself.
I received my new Rowan Magazine 42 this week and have already started the Bressay Hap Shawl. This is partly because I'm quite into shawls at the moment and partly because I have a stash of Yorkshire Tweed 4 ply that I can use for this shawl. I knitted one of the edgings and started to work one of the borders but decided I really didn't like the yarn over edge on the edging. This is used for picking up stitched for the border and was very loose and holey when I did it that way. I have adapted the pattern to use a slip stitch edge. This give a much tighter and more pleasing effect when the stitches are picked up. I really had to force myself to do the edging piece a second time, as I'm always demoralised when my knitting doesn't work out right first time. Anyway I've redone the first edging and picked up the stitches again and I'm much happier with the result. Picture will come soon.
My initial reaction to the new Rowan Mag was disappointment , but on second look I do like the Highland Stockings (but I am obsessed with socks) and Iceland (knitted in Cocoon), Narvik (also in Cocoon), Fyne slipover and tunic, Rannoch dress, Doon coat, Maree sweater, Malt cardigan, Neaty cardigan, Nevis Jacket, okay lots of the designs.
Anyway I really should go back to bed. The kettle's boiled so I'm going to take a cup of tea with me (and hide the sudoku book or I'll be up all night).

2 comments:

vanessa said...

hi, i'm just about to start the bressay shawl, subbing yorkshire tweed 4 ply. may i please ask which kind of slip stitch you subbed for the yo?
thanks!

Angie said...

Hi, sorry it's taken a while to get back to you. On the odd rows I slipped the first stitch and knitted the second stitch instead of doing the yfwd, k2tog. On the even rows I knitted into the back of the slipped stitch (as per the pattern). This gave a much firmer edge whilst the slipped stitch enabled me to pick up the stitches easily. If you've ever knitted socks it gave the same sort of slip stitch edge you get when working the heel flap.